Tuesday, March 31, 2009

That’s All Folks!



Well I can officially say I did it. I can’t believe I stayed in Kazakhstan for 6 full weeks! Two of which were spent all alone with Leah. I have never really lived alone before much less in a strange country!

At times, living here was harder than you can imagine. Especially with Davis sick. I was so worried about him and knew the doctors in Aktobe were not western trained doctors. There were times I didn’t think I could take one more day. I thought what have I done! Leah was crying when I left the room, Davis only wanted me because he was so sick. We pressed on, and things worked out.

My time alone with Leah was valuable and I will cherish this time. She has been a trooper through this life changing event, and it shows the amount of love and care she has received in her early months of life.

Living in Kazakhstan has helped me appreciate everything I have. It has also taught me how to live simpler. It has shown me how proud I am be to be an American! It has also given me a new appreciation for home and my family and friends. Like Dorothy says on the Wizard of Oz, “There is no place like home.”

This process was flawless from an adoption standpoint. I give my adoption agency and the in-country staff credit for having everything go so smoothly. I wish Kazakhstan, as a country, had a different process for adoption, but that is beyond anyone’s control.

Words can’t even express how much I want to get home! I can’t wait to see Milon, Davis, my family and friends. I have missed everyone terribly!

Now, one last hurdle…the airplane ride home! Once we enter the US, Leah will officially become a citizen of the United States!!

So, with all of that being said, I have some new vows to put forward:

I vow to never complain when the temperature dips below 30 degrees
I vow to never complain when my dryer shrinks an article of clothing
I vow to never complain about carrying my groceries from the garage to my kitchen
I vow to never complain about walking in high heeled shoes out to dinner
I vow to never complain there is nothing on TV
I vow to never complain about being bored at home
I vow to never complain about being hot inside my house
I vow to never complain about linoleum, as long as it is not peeling
I vow to never complain when I am on a long line at Target
and finally, I vow to never complain about the airplane ride to California!

Now we can finally start the beginning of our new life…life with 2 kids. I am sure it will be difficult at first as we all adjust to this new life. It reminds me of a saying from my favorite movie Hope Floats “Beginnings are scary, endings are usually sad, but it's the middle that counts the most. You need to remember that when you find yourself at the beginning. Just give hope a chance to float up.”


See you on the "other side" my friends!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I like the one where you vow never to be bored at home! HA! You have learned alot and are a super duper trooper for all you have been through! You will be home soon with your family and friends and life will seem like you never left again... except you have your precious little daughter now. Davis and her will be not only family, but friends for life and that is an amazing gift that you and Milon are giving to him. We know that you will need time to regroup and get into a new routine, but Ella is waiting for Davis and Leah to come over to play! She told me that Davis needs to come over! Good luck, be safe and remember, you will have much more to do when you get home, and you are going to love every minute of it too!
We love you all tons! Congratulations!
Love, Lynne

Alysa said...

I love the quote too -- definitely one to live by. Congratulations on making it through the process and winning the ultimate prize: your adorable daughter. So very worth it!

I've been home for 5 months now and there are times that the whole Kaz experience just seems like a distant dream. You've done a great job memorializing your journey for your family and your daughter.

Have a safe trip home and looking forward to the first pictures of your family reunited.

Lots of love,
Alysa and Brady

Regina said...

You've been on my mind and I wish you a safe and smooth journey home! I had a wiggle worm too, so the trip was really tough, but trust me, you will dig deep to strong places you never knew you had. It was grueling, but I wept with relief and love all the way from Memphis to Charleston, while Milo slept in my lap the whole leg.

Although this experience was not exactly what you envisioned, and much harder than you thought it would be, the rewards are worth it all in the end! The deeper appreciation for your life is just one of the blessings. Of course, Leah is the ultimate blessing and reward. She is truly magnificent and I wish you a joyful new life together!

I look forward to reading that you are all on US soil.

Hugs,
Regina

AJ said...

I do believe this is the cutest photo of leaving Kaz I've ever seen!

You did a great job, Susan. Leah will love hearing your Kaz story to her.

Talk to you soon,
AJ

Crea-Vie said...

Hi Susan

Finally. We know how it feels. The last hours are the most terrible but when you board on the plain it already feels like home. We hope to hear you soon.

Greetings from Belgium. Evi, Michel & Mila