Sunday, March 22, 2009

Happy Kazakhstan New Year!



We woke up to about 3 inches of snow which continued throughout the morning. It is a shame because all of the snow had just melted and it was going to be perfect weather for all of the festivities going on today. They were busy all morning shoveling the snow and plowing to make way for all of the traffic. Leah did not nap well today. The music was very loud and the karaoke scared her (me too)! We did have fun dancing in the kitchen to all the Russian songs. I wanted to go over to see what was happening but it was just too cold and I thought it would be too overwhelming for her. So, we played inside all day with things we probably shouldn’t be playing with (i.e., Xmas wreaths, nail files, phones) but it was a necessary form of entertainment!

I decided it was a good morning to try and make blueberry muffins that my mom had brought. You just add water to the mix. They were a very yummy treat to remind me of home! I have decided I am going to celebrate the Kazakh New Year drinking some white wine and eating a hot dog! Yes, I need to throw a little something American into the mix. I don’t know, maybe it is a subliminal way of protesting all of this Kazakhstan pride. I feel like singing the “Star Spangle Banner” out my balcony window. No really, I think it is great they have such intense national pride around here. I just want to go home!

Leah continues to love the Sesame Street DVD. Her body actually quivers with excitement when she hears the song “Cereal Girl.” It is to the tune of Madonna’s “Material Girl.” The DVD is all about healthy foods. It’s funny because they sing about eating a healthy lunch of a bologna sandwich and a bowl of pasta. Last time I checked I thought bologna was horrible for you and pasta (other than whole wheat) has little nutrition! Yeah, yeah, it’s a DVD from Malaysia!

So what have I been doing with all my spare time you might ask. I am working to become a solitaire world champion. I am quite good I must boost. I also watched the movie “I am Legend” last night. Probably not the best movie to watch all alone in a foreign country. Will Smith is the last survivor on earth, of course, other than the people infected with a rabies-like virus who only come out when it’s dark. I am also reading a book called “Eat, Pray and Love.” It is a rather dumb book but it kills some time. I also have been looking on the internet at short hairstyles which kills a ton of time on dial up! I could spend the entire day pulling up one website. I am “thinking” of cutting it. Mainly because I think someone is going to pull it all out soon! And finally, the rest of my time is spent counting down the days. Yes, I have a calendar that I cross everyday off and count the days left, then recount, then count the best case scenario, then count the worst case scenario, then the next day I do it all over again! As if I don’t remember how many days left from the day before!

No comments: