Friday, March 20, 2009

Getting Ready for the Big Day...And No I'm Not Leaving

My mom and Davis made it home safe and sound. She said he was a “dream” on the plane. Who knows if she is telling the truth! She said he kept saying how excited he was to sleep in his own bed! Poor fella!

I will be glad to sleep in my own bed also. It is so loud here it’s hard to sleep. Some nights I feel like I am sleeping next to a combination of I95 and Grand Central Station. It is so hot in the apartment that I have to leave the windows open, but that also makes it extra noisy. The bedrooms are located above a busy alley way that is apparently a major cut through between the hours of 12am-3am. It doesn’t really quiet down until 4am! I can’t figure what these people are doing all night! The work day starts much later than in the US. Stores don’t open until 11am and the bus stop doesn’t get busy until 10am.

Tomorrow is a big day around here. It’s the Kazakhstan New Years. They have been making preparations for the big day all week. I have been told that there will be fireworks in the soccer stadium across the street. I can’t imagine how loud it will be Sunday night! They have been building what looks like straw huts in the parking lot and have placed Kazakhstan flags on top of all the stores. You can see them in the picture below. They have banners up which I assume say Happy New Year :>

Here is a picture of them cleaning the streets. Check out the broom the man is using. (Yes, I have become a voyeur out my window.) Here is a closer look at the broom that is in our apartment.

I am amazed at how many children are walking around without parents. I see young kids (around 5 yrs old) walking home from school with friends, going into the mall, crossing busy streets by themselves. I asked Ainura if they had problems with kidnapping around here and she didn’t know what I was talking about. Apparently, they don’t!

Kazakhstan reminds me of the way I assume the US use to be in the 1920’s or 30’s. They are many years behind us. People live very simply here. Everyone dresses up to go to the store…even if it’s the grocery store! They own a nice coat, hat, boots, and purse and 1 nice outfit they wear over and over. Cars are definitely a status symbol. Our driver said that Toyota’s (especially a Prado or land cruiser), BMW’s and Mercedes mean you are loaded. This is mainly a cash society. Credit cards are not common here and I am sure they don’t have the financing available that we have in the US. The women I have met are very quiet and rather reserved. Ainura thinks it’s funny that I can’t imagine not smiling at strangers on the street. She said if you smile at a stranger, they think there is something wrong with them. How strange. What about just being friendly! The grocery store check out girl does smile at me now and the security guards all smile. They were excited to see Leah and I assume they know we just adopted her. They were rambling in Russian, pinching her cheeks so I guess they know she is a new addition!

I spent my down time yesterday making some good old fashion sweet tea! I was in need of some southern comforts of home! Although, I don’t think their tea bags are decaf! I was up all night!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I feel like Dorothy from the Wizard of Oz all I keep repeating is "there's no place like home". It was a bitter sweet goodbye Davis and I leaving you and Leah behind. But remember honey, that you're coming down the home stretch now and the cheering squad is waiting your arrival.