Monday, March 23, 2009

Does The Clock Move Slower in Kazakhstan?

Everyday that goes by seems to take longer and longer. I look at the clock and only 5 minutes have past! I am starting to have a harder time entertaining Leah. I am grateful for the Sesame Street DVD because she will watch the whole show. She even cries in the section that is scratched and gets stuck. She has learned to say “uh oh” when it stops!

These are the toys I brought for her to play with…yes, what was I thinking? I brought a few more for Davis, but I underestimated the amount of downtime we would have. I did buy these 2 toys but we both are bored with them now! Leah takes a bath everyday which helps to kill a few minutes. She loves to play in the tube and loves to stick her head under the faucet. This child has no fear. She laughs at this! Davis won’t even do this.

Today I spent the morning cleaning. Leah is afraid of the vacuum. I turned it on today with her on the floor to see what she would do. She screamed and crawled towards me (and the vacuum!). I thought this was a good sign that she sees me as comfort. I can protect her against this evil monster called “The Vacuum.” I hope she gets over this fast because I vacuum at home everyday! I also mopped the floor because of all the spilt milk and apple juice. Now the wavy, peeling, linoleum sparkles like brand new! Then we took the trash out. I really need to take a picture of the dumpsters. I have no idea who takes the trash out of them but generally there is more trash out of them than in. Maybe it’s the animals, but I have also seen a lot of people digging through them. I am not sure if they are after recyclables, or food.

I booked our tickets to Almaty today. It felt good to hit “Buy Tickets!” I am ready for a change of scenery, even if it means being in a hotel for a few days. I have to go to Almaty anyway in order to board the plane home, and it will feel good to know I at least have 1 flight over with!

Ainura came by this afternoon and brought some papers I needed to sign for the consulate appointment in Almaty. She also brought some yummy treats called Zhent. They are a type of treat that seems to be made of corn meal, sugar, butter and raisins. Very different tasting but good. Just as I thought, Leah is glued to my hip. She screamed bloody murder when I handed her to Ainura. We tried twice, but she wanted nothing to do with it. I have a feeling this “bonding” time has worked a little too well creating a false sense of reality. Hopefully, when we get home she will adjust to “reality” as well as she has adjusted to this “false reality.”

On a separate not, I thought this was funny. I looked at my statistics for Solitaire and I have played 539 games! I told you I play a lot!

1 comment:

Alysa said...

Sounds like bonding is going well! She only knows you right now, but that will change. Happy little girl!

Try putting a little water, or some rice or macaroni in a water bottle as a toy. Brady played for hours with a couple of the 5 liter bottles and a smaller one with stuff in it so it made noise. And empty boxes of any kind. Scrunched up paper. I'm sure you've BTDT with all these things before, but whatever works!

You were able to buy your airline tickets online??! They're making progress! We had to go to the travel agent's office each time to make ours. There is so much more to do in Almaty and the grocery stores have a lot more variety of everything. Plus, it is just a nice city to visit. Enjoy your time there.

All of your pictures and descriptions of Aqtobe make me very nostalgic.