Monday, March 23, 2009

Our Precious Gift

There is something I am compelled to write about in the blog. Being a Mom. Yes, maybe it’s the red wine I am trying to drink up or maybe it’s the lack of human contact. But either way, I feel it should be documented.

No for me, it is not the first time at motherhood. I still remember Davis being born like it was yesterday. An overwhelming feeling of complete love and devotion. Something I have never felt before. The feeling of complete vulnerability. I still remember taking Davis for a walk in my subdivision and thinking of how I would feel if someone came and stole him. I remember thinking I could truly kill someone for this child…with my bare hands. I felt like a lioness protecting her cub.

I can tell you now how worried I was that those same feelings would not be there for an adopted child. Not that I thought I wasn’t capable, but it was the unknown. How could I possibly love something more than Davis? What if it’s because he is of blood relation? I can tell you now that blood doesn’t matter. I love her in the few days I have been alone with her like I gave birth to her. Hand picked from God, or by my Nanna, as my mom says. My Grandmother recently passed away and my mom always says I have an angel in heaven. I now believe her. Leah is exactly what my grandmother would have handpicked for me. My grandmother loves music and dancing…so does Leah. She always had a smile on her face….so does Leah. She was very funny and a total ham….so is Leah.

There is no doubt in my mind the decision to adopt (and Leah) was my destiny. I tried for many years to change this fate, but ultimately, this was what we were meant to do. It’s funny how when you are in the thick of a problem you can’t see the light at the end. Years later, the revelation happens.

I hope Leah never feels unwanted because her birthmother couldn’t care for her. I hope she feels connected with us and never feels like she missed out on something. I hope she knows how much Milon and I love her and how wanted she really was! This process of adoption is grueling. Truly harder than pregnancy and childbirth itself. I will even add ”my” pregnancy and childbirth!

So as I peer in on her sleeping, on our last night in her birthplace, her hometown, I look around and see what her future could have been. I pray that she and I have a mother-daughter relationship like my mom and I have. I hope she can always come to me and can tell me anything. I hope she knows that unconditionally we love her. I hope she knows that she is our precious gift from God.

6 comments:

Alysa said...

Beautiful, heartfelt post. Thank you for sharing. Your daughter is truly blessed to be a part of your family.

Anonymous said...

"We witness a miracle every time a baby enters the world growing within the hearts of those who wait to love them, are carried on the wings of destiny and placed among us by God's own hands." Leah is part of God's original plan for you and Milon as we are all adopted children. With love and pride we anxiously await your arrival home.

kbluster said...

Ok, so you've made me cry again! What a beautiful note to your daughter and your new family. Can't wait to meet her!!

Unknown said...

How sweetand true! I have tears in my eyes too... you really said it perfectly and Leah truly is your long awaited gift from God. I definitely believe in Angels and have a few of my own that I lean on from time to time. You and Milon were persistant and committed from the get-go and knew your calling was to adopt a child. You two are the angels in Leah's life and she is truly as blessed to have you two as her parents as you two are truly blessed to have her as your daughter. We hope your travels are safe and we can't wait to meet Davis' littly sissy when you get back home...
Love, The Martins

Mark n' Sherry said...

Awwwww. Very touching. How about flying home via Auckland so we don't have to wait a year to meet your new bundle of joy?

Regina said...

Oh Susan, I am crying my eyes out reading this post. Adoption is a miracle and so full of REAL LOVE. Mother bear indeed...