Thursday, March 26, 2009

Lovin' Almaty!


We woke up this morning to the smell of fresh air! Spring has sprung in Almaty and the weather is gorgeous! I would say about 68-70 degrees. I am in a long sleeve shirt, no jacket and am hot! We had breakfast and went to the grocery store again. It will take awhile to stock up so I don’t have to carry multiple heavy things at one time. I found the ergo works much better for grocery store runs. My arms are free to carry the groceries and Leah doesn’t complain. In fact, I hum songs and she dances the entire way swaying side to side and clapping hands.
A girl at the grocery store and I had fun together. I was trying to figure out if this item was a hotdog or sausage. She didn’t speak English, but I wanted to know if the hotdog was beef. So I pointed to it and said “Moo.” She laughed and shook her head yes and then was trying to think of another animal. I said “oink, oink” she shook her head no, and then said “baaa” and she laughed and shook her head yes. It was pretty funny and we both had a good laugh.
Later, we went for a walk on the pedestrian walkway. Basically, it is a large street with stores on either side. It made me miss Milon so much! He would love this place. I saw a lot of perfect spots to sit and have a beer! There are tons of outdoor restaurant seating and lots of kabob street vendors. My stomach isn’t made of steel so I decided to have a grilled cheese sandwich at the apartment!
The staff in Almaty are wonderful! Marina has called 3 times in 2 days to make sure I am okay and even offered to get me an internet card at 7pm at night! I am so glad I made the decision to come early here. It is exactly what I needed. Almaty is chic, urban and touristy. I have already seen lots of Chinese people with cameras so I feel more like I am on vacation, rather than a mission to get home!
We are running into a little paperwork snafu. My updated I71h was never sent to Kazakhstan so hopefully, Milon can straighten that out before I need to leave. Marina said it was just an email the US Government needs to send, but you know how that goes.
I have a feeling Leah is going to be walking soon. She can now pull up on everything by herself and can stand flat footed holding on with 1 hand. She says “uh oh” every time she drops a toy on the ground.
We have been keeping ourselves very busy. Mainly, only home to sleep and eat! When we get home I think she is grateful to sit and play with her toys quietly since she hadn’t seen them all day!
Milon was able to tell me how to get the DVD player hooked up to the TV. This is great because now Leah can watch Sesame Street and I can watch movies! This is especially important since I don’t have CNN! I am reading another book, but I don’t like this one either!
We went to the SOS clinic today. Leah screamed the entire time because they took her and weighed her! Anytime the doctor came near she would scream. We have a bad case of the mommies right now, but hopefully, once we are at home that will change. She weighs 7.2kg which is almost 16lbs! Getting bigger! Last month she weighed 14lbs so we are doing well. She should be because she eats like a pig! The doctor said everything else sounded fine. Of course, we had a joke that her lungs were perfectly healthy!
Here are some pictures of our new digs.
























1 comment:

Unknown said...

Some warm weather seems to be what you needed to wake up out of that slump! Amazing what it can do! yes, Leah needs to learn to enjoy her stroller... she will, however she seems so excited to have her Mommy so close. That is the sweetest and enjoy it while it lasts.
:) Lynne