Friday, February 27, 2009

Back to the Couch

Today I arrived at our morning visit to be told by the nannies that Leah has a cold and I have to play with her on the couch! Great…back to the couch! Her nose was slightly running and she sneezed a few times. She was back in her snowsuit and became so hot that her head was wet from sweat.

I met a lady who was cleaning the floors with a stick and a rag that was so dirty and ripped that most of it was shredding as she mopped the floor. We played charades for awhile and I thought she was asking me if I had a camera but they hadn’t brought Leah out yet so I wasn’t sure why she kept asking me this. Once they brought Leah out I found out she wanted me to take a picture of her! She spoke a lot to me even though I couldn’t understand a thing she said! Here is the picture of her. I assume she is a cleaning lady at the babyhouse.

Leah has a hat on that Cerine (Milon’s sister) made for her out of bamboo. It fits her perfectly! Cerine also made several extra hats as well as a blanket for the babyhouse to keep. I am waiting until our interpreter is with us to give them out.

Out of boredom, I gave Leah a bitter biscuit to chew on. I remembered from Davis that they made an absolute mess, so I put a bib on her and only let her gnaw on it until it started to melt. I figured there would be less evidence if I stopped her before it was everywhere! I also gave her more puffs which she loves. She still isn’t able to feed herself but she manages well with the limited chewing she needs in order to swallow them.

Davis is feeling much better so tomorrow we will start bringing him back to the babyhouse in the morning. We are thinking of keeping the afternoon visit a childless one.

Today marks 1 week since leaving home. 5 more to go! Boredom is starting to set in. It is hard entertaining Davis without many toys or places to go. The grocery store has become our daily outing. We went to a small (very small) park that is right outside our building. We were out there for about 15 mins and got cold so we came back in. It is 10 degrees here which actually feels warm compared to last trip. We have to be very creative with entertaining Davis. I am actually typing this blog entry in a make shift fort we built (see below). Davis is coloring in a Handy Manny coloring book and I am typing on the computer! He has become excellent with the mouse on my laptop! We play solitaire together and I tell him where to drag the cards and he does the rest. He also has a memory game he can do all by himself.

No comments: