Friday, January 2, 2009

Day 8: Another One Bites the Dust




Davis is now sick. He was up a good bit of the night. I think it's just a cold right now, sneezing, runny nose, coughing and irritable!

Leah was back to her happy self today. We have decided it was the vitamins upsetting her stomach so we are not going to give her anymore. She was babbling up a storm saying “dad da”, “ma ma” and “ata”. The rest of the day was filled playing duck duck goose and ring around the rosey.

We are going to buy a hairdryer today. Mine finally bit the dust. It worked fine and the past few days would cut off, then I would unplug it and it would turn back on. The intervals in which it is shutting off are too frequent now and I can’t get my hair dried!

We are told we need to go to the Uzbekistan restaurant to get some rice, or what they call “plov.” We also need to try the bishbarmark but haven’t been told of a good restaurant yet. Anyone have any recommendations? We are going to go for lunch rather than dinner, since we all are too exhausted at night.

Last night was a big party night. We were up most of the night listening to horns honk, people yelling and loud music. We are all pretty tired today.

Well, today is Day 8 of the mandatory 15 days of bonding. We are still comfortable here and into a routine but I can say I will be glad to get home. We are all sick now and are getting cranky. Leaving Leah will be difficult, but we realize it is part of the process and the sooner we are home, the sooner we come back to take her home for good. We still aren’t expected to leave here until the 14th. Apparently, because people here don’t go back to work until the 5th we have to add an extra 4 days onto our trip. Hmmm seems fishy to me since every day we are here people get paid, but we are just doing what we are told. We didn’t realize when we signed up for this that the first trip would turn into a 3.5 week trip! Nor, did we realize it would be 5 weeks for a court date, nor did we realize we would then have to come back for 6 weeks! The bottom line is we are being given the best gift ever, but getting her back in the US is going to be more trying and costly than we anticipated.

Here is a picture of the bathroom we use at the babyhouse. The first time we used it Davis was saying in the bonding room how much he had to pee. We had to get boots on, walk down the long hallway shown in the picture and he opens the door and says he doesn’t have to go. I laughed because it is a very nasty bathroom and you have to BYOP (bring your own paper)! Now, we have a running joke before we leave the apt that he better use the toilet here or he will have to go in that bathroom!






Ceric gave Davis a Kiwi and an orange yesterday. Davis thought it was very funny and brought Ceric an orange today.

5 comments:

Cathy said...

Happy New Year! So sorry you all are sick and hope you bounce back soon. Love the pictures of your apartment. Pictures of the bathroom at the babyhouse reminded me of bathrooms in gas stations here in the south back in the 1950's. Ugh! Davis looks so happy and protective when holding Leah. He sure likes being a big brother. It's very obvious.

Regina said...

Happy New Year you guys! Leah looks gorgeous.

I am sitting her crying looking at the pictures of "our" apartment, remembering our moments there and seeing Milo around every corner -- in the tub... on the bed...slamming the dining room doors.

I also used that restroom--once! And I was so glad I had TP with me.

I don't remember the name of the Kazakh restaurant where we ate Bishbarmak in, but I can send you a photo of it and you can show it to Ainura. Ceric is the one who took us there (twice) so he would know where it is.

We also had a million surprises that led us to spend about 30-40% more time and money than budgeted. It's infuriating at times, but trust me, the frustration does fade away and you would do it all over again if given the choice. Just hang in there and be strong. I hope everyone feels better soon!

Chris & Christy said...

And the orange saga continues. :)

Things sure have changed, in regards to the adoption process (timing) in Aqtobe, since I adopted only a mere 10 months ago. I was in Aqtobe for 5 weeks and Almaty for a week, total, the 6 weeks I had anticipated. Soon after I adopted Z things started changing there and the process started to take a new shape. I am sorry it will take you longer, both in country and between trips, but ou are SO right, the prize at the end is SO SO SO worth it. :)

I too cannot remember the name of the Kazak restaraunt where we ate Bishbarmak. Bayana was the translator that took us there, but Ceric was our driver and does know the place. The Uzbek restaraunt is a definite must, a fun place to visit even just for atmosphere. The building is gorgeous and the food was wonderful too. Bayana and I went there to celebrate court!! :)

Congratulations on Day #8!

Christy

kbluster said...

OK Susan - you know me and bathrooms . . . yuk :(

Sad to hear you have all been under the weather and that you are on the mend now. Hang in there and we will see you soon.

Kristin

Jim said...

Sure is a different experience than your aunt and I had adopting Steven & Dina here in the states...
I know the process will be worth every minute of it for you...
Hang in and good luck ...

Uncle Jim